Le Roc et hameau du château
Historic site and monument


Good ideas

Hilltop Village ? Here is one who hides his game! It seems as if the road goes down to go to Saoû! Yet in the Middle Ages, true eagle's nest, the village camps well and truly with its castle, all high up on the rock.

Further down, the village of Churches grows around the fortified Saint Thiers abbey, founded in the 9th century by the Augustinians. It is to his monks that we owe the mills on the Vèbre and the numerous channels of the irrigation network. In the last century, Saoû, a martyred village, was bombed in 1944, in retaliation for the help provided by its inhabitants to the maquis Perrin, one of the first in the region, settled in the forest. Because at all times in Saoû, the history of the village is inseparable from that of its forest.

26400 Saoû
Add to travel book
Opening times

All year round, daily.


Free access.

Good ideas

L'histoire complète du village dans l'ouvrage de Jean-Noël Couriol "Saoû - Soyans - Francillon" en vente 2 € à l'office de tourisme.
Une balade pour faire le tour du Roc en passant par le hameau est possible en 1h à pied sur une route carossable.

  • Play area
  • Bar
  • Public WC
  • Camper van reception area
  • Book shop
  • Car park
  • Restaurant
  • Shop
  • Wi-fi
  • Tourist brochures
  • Tourist information
  • Guided tours