Well behaved and restrained in summer, the Drôme resembles a sea-side resort and draws to its banks many holiday makers who develop their tans and enjoy swimming in the calm and fresh waters.
The river does not contain any particular difficulties and has a regular current which carries you gently along with it. It is suitable for beginners and for those with more experience featuring canoe and kayak trips ranging from 6 to 45km.When the snow melts or after heavy rain, the more challenging waters which are the result are appreciated by those for looking for greater excitement on rafts and hot-dogs (2 person inflatable canoe). One of the most pleasant ways of discovering the Drôme valley is on the 130km ‘véloroute’ (cycle route recommended for touring bicycles) which follows the river from its source at La Bâtie-des-Fonds all the way to where it meets the Rhône, at Livron. Ideal for family excursions. Those who are interested in fauna and flora will enjoy this river where beavers have recolonised the banks, sharing their environment with wading birds such as egrets, the discrete black stork and the much more numerous herons. The presence of these «grey flamingos» establishes that fish are also present.
Claps de Luc et Saut de la DrômeLuc-en-Diois
Canoe and tubing with the leisure base Drôme AventureDie
Canoeing and Kayaking with La Pinède Camp SiteDie
Canoeing and kayaking at Camping Le GlandasseDie
Canoeing and kayaking with Aloa'ventureDie
Canoë Kayak et mini raft avec Canoë DrômeSaillans
Canoë-Kayak avec Canoë DrômeAouste-sur-Sye
Canoë-kayak and Rafting with EVA LocationSaillans
In summer, to refresh yourself, you will find beautiful rivers with crystal clear flowing waters offering a number of extremely welcoming bathing sites, such as the pools of the Roanne valley or the Toulourenc gorges, on the border with the Vaucluse. These spots are spoilt for deep pools and also feature walks down the riverbeds of the river, through shallow water, for kilometres at a time. The limpid waters are surrounded by astonishingly white cliffs echoing with the sound of crickets. This is a miniature version of paradise which has remained free of development, dotted with boulders and sandy beaches. The Ubrieux gorges also offer watery walks, not to mention the Gervanne, the Roubion or the Aygues rivers, or the Ouvèze, the Bez and the Buëch. The Drôme Département overflows with bathing opportunities (unsupervised), along the banks transparent rivers or faster running mountain streams. All this can be discovered through a day devoted to water discovery or in the course of a tranquil picnic.
Lakes and bathing ponds
- -The Lac des Vernets at Saint-Barthélémy-de-Vals, surrounded by grounds extending to 11 hectares features a fitness trail and a volley-ball area.
- The Lac de Champos at Saint-Donat-sur-l’Herbasse offers a wide range of activities on or near water: pedal boats, canoes, fishing, pétanque, volleyball, tennis, play areas, walks, water toboggan and water sports. The site is also a pleasant one in which to enjoy a picnic.
- The Etang du Père Eugène at Beaumont-les-Valence is a site where one can both enjoy trout fishing and pass an agreeable and enjoyable moment around a mini-golf game.
- The water feature at the Claps, Luc-en-Diois, famous for its ‘saut de la Drôme’, an astonishing collapse of rocks into the Drôme river, is ideal for a picnic or a bit of rock climbing on a via ferrata, or even a fun guided walk, either before after a swim.
- The Lac de Montmeillan at Montélimar, from which you can easily incorporate a short detour via a nougat maker, to stock up on sweets.
- The Lac du Pas des Ondes at Cornillon-sur-l’Oule is a superb site featuring two lakes; one for swimming (in summer only) and the other for fishing.
- The Lac de Pignedoré at Pierrelatte is a cunning plan after you have visited the ‘Ferme aux Crocodiles’. This site will also provide entertainment for your children thanks to its many features: a hard surface track (don’t forget your roller blades!), a walking route (2,9 km), a skatepark, a wind surfing area and a children’s play area.
Claps de Luc et Saut de la DrômeLuc-en-Diois
Fun and welcoming addresses where you can have a good time in the water using inflatable equipment:
- Froggie’s Park at Châteauneuf-sur-Isère
- Slides Parc at the lac des Vernets at Saint-Barthélémy-de-Vals
- Delta Waterpark at Vercheny
- Etoile Park 26 at Etoile-sur-Rhône
The last two nautical centres above also offer wakeboard and paddle activities.
To round things off, don’t forget that there are also numerous aquatic complexes or spaces such as, for example:
- Nyonsoleïado at Nyons
- Le Sagittaire at Vinsobres
- Diabolo at Bourg-de-Péage
- Linaë at Tain-l’Hermitage
- Le Monde de Merlin at Bourg-les-Valence
- Centre aqualudique de l’Epervière at Valence
Not forgetting many municipal swimming-pools such as Aloha at Montélimar